Following a recent article regarding Cockroach Genome sequencing we though we would put together some interesting facts about Cockroaches. People may think of cockroaches as a disgusting insect and they are right they spread disease and cause reputation damage to businesses. I find them fascinating due to the fact they are hard to kill and experts in survival. A link to the article regarding the DNA sequencing of cockroaches is here if you would like to take a look it is fascinating and worth a read.
The mention of cockroaches can make your skin crawl they are associated with dirt, grim and unhygienic conditions. Please find below some facts about cockroaches.
Facts About Cockroaches
- Cockroaches can survive without a head – This is correct cockroaches can survive without a head for up to one week. The reason for this is that they do not require mouths to breath, they use tiny holes called spiracles in there body to inhale oxygen.
- Cockroaches are unable to fly – This is correct cockroaches do have wings but are unable to fly, they can glide but it is much faster for them to scurry around.
- Cockroaches are Fast – Yep! they are very fast indeed they can run up to 1.5 metres per second if that was a human equivalent speed a human would be running 200 miles and hour. Impressive right?
- Cockroaches are Cannibals -They certainly are they will eat practically anything from faeces, fruit, glue, food waste you name it they are not fussy. When a large infestation occurs then food becomes scarce causing cockroaches to turn on there own species.
- Cockroaches are old – Evidence suggests from Pennstate university that cockroaches have existed for 300 million years. This means dinosaurs and Cavemen had cockroach problems
- Cockroaches can move from property to property – Yes they can we see infestations moving from one house or flat to a neighbouring flat, in fact we have dealt with high rise flats where all have been infested with cockroaches in Swindon. Take a look at this video from National Geographic
- A Cockroach can hold its breath for 40 minutes – Yes they can they can survive being submerged for 40 minutes In water or fluid. They hold there breath to help regulate air loss.
- How many types of cockroaches are there – There are more than 4,000 species of cockroaches worldwide, including the most common species, the German cockroach, in addition to other common species, the brownbanded cockroach and American cockroach.
- How big is the largest cockroach in the world -The world’s largest roach (which lives in South America) is six inches long with a one-foot wingspan. Average cockroaches can vary in size from ½”- 2″ long.
- Can a cockroach survive nuclear war – Nope. This is one of the most common myths to be quoted as a fact. The truth is that a cockroach can withstand 10 times more radiation than a person, but they would not survive a nuclear event. However, there are much easier ways of getting rid of them.
If you would like to learn move we recommend these links